On October 1, 2017, the FNHA will join BC PharmaCare, becoming part of the provincial drug benefits insurance program.
The transition to PharmaCare is part of an overall plan to bring decision-making about health benefits closer to home and into the hands of First Nations. Bringing the program home to BC is our first step in improving it. The FNHA PharmaCare plan will be a fully paid plan and BC PharmaCare will be the first payer for FNHA clients. Key benefits of this transition include:
• Providing clients with increased ease of access to benefits and services.• A streamlined approvals process that reduces the number of steps needed for prescriptions approvals.• Integrating benefits with the Province of BC will reduce confusion for clients who often have to navigate both federal and provincial services.• A closer working partnership with PharmaCare, pharmacists, and physicians/nurse practitioners, all of whom have an interest in better outcomes for FNHA clients.• Once the transition is complete, we’ll be better positioned to transform benefits to reflect the cultures and perspectives of BC First Nations and incorporate First Nations’ models of wellness.• Over time, stronger relationships will be developed with providers to better coordinate benefits and fully integrate the program within a client’s circle of care.
Approval processes for drugs needing special authorization will be streamlined, and most clients will not see a change at the pharmacy counter.
For a small percentage of clients however, there will be a few changes. If you have any questions about the medication you're receiving, we recommend speaking with your doctor or other health care provider.
If you have a health condition supported by a provincial agency for: Cancer diagnosis (BC Cancer Agency); Organ transplant (BC Transplant); Chronic Kidney disease (BC Renal Agency); or HIV/AIDS (BC Centre for Excellence for HIV/AIDS); please speak to your doctor or specialist to ensure you are enrolled or registered. While you enroll, a six-month transition period is in place to ensure you continue to receive the medications you need.
Please read this important information here.
It's also a good idea to bring both your BC Services Card/CareCard and your Status Card to the pharmacy to access your drug beneﬁts. If you don't have your MSP premiums paid by FNHA yet, contact our FNHA client support representative to enroll at 1.855.550.5454. If you’ve received a letter from FNHA regarding the transition to PharmaCare, you already have MSP coverage through FNHA.
Clients currently using a pharmacy NOT enrolled as a provider in the BC PharmaCare program will need to switch pharmacies before receiving pharmaceutical benefits through PharmaCare. View the list of pharmacies not enrolled with PharmaCare here.
If you're preparing to travel out-of-province, plan ahead and ﬁll prescriptions in advance here in BC before leaving. PharmaCare is a BC program, and cannot pay for prescriptions filled in other provinces.
Questions about coverage? We want to hear from you. Call our toll free Health Beneﬁts Support line at 1.855.550.5454 or email us at
For additional information:
• View these two lists of drugs which are impacted by the transition to PharmaCare.
• If you find your current medication on this first list, please speak to your doctor or nurse practitioner about the medication you’ve been prescribed.• If you find your current medication on this second list, you will see a change when you fill your prescription at the pharmacy counter. Please speak with your pharmacist if you have any concerns.
• If you find your current medication on this first list, please speak to your doctor or nurse practitioner about the medication you’ve been prescribed.
• If you find your current medication on this second list, you will see a change when you fill your prescription at the pharmacy counter. Please speak with your pharmacist if you have any concerns.
• Review our Frequently Asked Questions and watch for updates as they become available.• See our poster and brochure to inform our clients throughout BC.• Watch the webinars below
1.855.550.5454 (Toll Free)
Download a print version of the FNHA Health Benefits Client Satisfaction Survey
Client Satisfaction Survey FAQs
There was an error subscribing you. Please try again later.
The email address you entered doesn't appear to be valid. Please try again.
You are now subscribed!