The FNHA is a non-profit society that is governed by the BC Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). We collect, use and disclose your information only where permitted under PIPA.
PIPA includes rules on how the FNHA collects and protects your personal information, and provides you with the opportunity to withdraw or amend your consent.
Protecting your personal information is our priority, and all of your personal information is kept strictly confidential in accordance with our shared vision, values and 7 Directives.
First Nations Health Benefits provides a number of health-related services to meet medical or dental needs not covered by provincial, territorial or other third-party health insurance providers for First Nations in BC. First Nations Health Benefits include:
• Mental Health Programs;• Pharmacy;• Dental;• Medical Supplies and Equipment;• Vision Care;• Medical Transportation; and• Oral Health programs (Dental Services and Children's Oral Health Initiative).
• Mental Health Programs;
• Medical Supplies and Equipment;
• Vision Care;
• Medical Transportation; and
• Oral Health programs (Dental Services and Children's Oral Health Initiative).
The purpose of collecting your personal information is to maintain a record of FNHA clients for plan administration and to provide service and enable access to the First Nations Health Benefits Program. Your personal information may be used by the FNHA for the following purposes:
• for your immediate and ongoing care;• to maintain contact with you;• to inform program quality and safety improvements;• to assess, validate, and adjudicate health benefits claims, including appeals and exceptions;• to respond to coverage inquiries and for training purposes;• to verify your eligibility for benefits and services and to arrange payment; and• to deliver services.
• for your immediate and ongoing care;
• to maintain contact with you;
• to inform program quality and safety improvements;
• to assess, validate, and adjudicate health benefits claims, including appeals and exceptions;
• to respond to coverage inquiries and for training purposes;
• to verify your eligibility for benefits and services and to arrange payment; and
• to deliver services.
Visit Health Benefits for more information.
The personal information we collect and protect includes any information about an identifiable individual, such as a person's name, home address, telephone number, family status, Personal Health Number, and personal health information.
The FNHA collects and discloses personal information with the following Third-Party Partners (Partners) and health care professionals in order to enhance the health programs and services that you receive and administer the First Nations Health Benefits program:
1. The BC Ministry of Health,2. Pacific Blue Cross, and; 3. Indigenous Services Canada.
1. The BC Ministry of Health,
2. Pacific Blue Cross, and;
3. Indigenous Services Canada.
Your personal information may also be disclosed to other authorized individuals as required by law (e.g., to respond to a court order) or under a specific statute (e.g., the Coroner's Act or Adult Guardianship Act).
The security of your information is important to the FNHA and our Partners. The FNHA uses appropriate technological safeguards, including encryption, passwords, and access audits to protect your personal information. We require our Partners to protect your personal information with security standards consistent with the FNHA's policies and practices.
The FNHA collects, uses, shares and retains your personal information for the purposes described here and in accordance with applicable laws. You can choose not to provide your personal information and you may withdraw your consent at any time, as long as there are no legal or contractual reasons preventing you from doing so. However, by withdrawing your consent, the FNHA may not be able to provide services or approve portions of your health benefit claims.
New eligible clients who wish to access the First Nations Health Benefits Program, such as infants and First Nations clients who have recently moved to BC, will need to send the following two forms to HealthBenefits@fnha.ca:
• Ministry of Health MSP enrolment form for PharmaCare• FNHA-Pacific Blue Cross enrollment form for Dental, Vision, Medical Supplies & Equipment
• Ministry of Health MSP enrolment form for PharmaCare
• FNHA-Pacific Blue Cross enrollment form for Dental, Vision, Medical Supplies & Equipment
Visit the Request Health Records and Health Benefits Records page for more information about your health records and health benefits claims records.
If you have further questions about your personal information at the FNHA - such as clarifying privacy rights or protection of your personal information, retrieving records, updating information, withdrawing consent, filing a report with the privacy department or any other questions and requests - please contact the Information Privacy Office:
First Nations Health Authority
Information Privacy Office
#320, 757 W. Hastings St.
Vancouver, BC V6C 1A1
If you would like to withdraw your consent for the FNHA to collect your personal information from Pacific Blue Cross, you can contact the Pacific Blue Cross Privacy Officer at 1-844-364-7748 or email@example.com.
The FNHA Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other Social Media pages are managed by the FNHA Communications Team. While you may find some of the answers you need about Health Benefits in these forums, the FNHA recommends that you contact the First Nations Health Benefits team directly with your questions.
The following content is subject to removal from any FNHA social media page:
• Personal information, health information or other confidential information• Abusive or vulgar language• Information that is not relevant to the subject matter or not related to the FNHA• Any copyrighted or registered trademarks, where prior written approval was not obtained• Spam or another form of advertising and/or violations of federal or provincial law
• Personal information, health information or other confidential information
• Abusive or vulgar language
• Information that is not relevant to the subject matter or not related to the FNHA
• Any copyrighted or registered trademarks, where prior written approval was not obtained
• Spam or another form of advertising and/or violations of federal or provincial law
Any inappropriate materials, links, messages and language or defamatory statements will be moderated by the FNHA site administrator.