The FNHA Health Benefits program provides eligible clients:
• Specified drugs, including certain prescription drugs• Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs• Proprietary medicines• Compounds - such as eye drops and skin creams; these mixtures prepared by the pharmacist
• Specified drugs, including certain prescription drugs
• Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs
• Proprietary medicines
• Compounds - such as eye drops and skin creams; these mixtures prepared by the pharmacist
What is covered?
The majority of FNHA pharmacy benefits are administered through the BC PharmaCare program. Eligible FNHA clients will receive coverage for their prescription medications through PharmaCare Plan W. All drugs approved for coverage by PharmaCare Plan W are available on their formulary search, which can be found
Drugs that are not on the PharmaCare Plan W formulary may be approved for coverage as a Special Authority, when exceptional need is demonstrated. Special Authority requests must be initiated by a doctor or nurse practitioner. The following drug products are exclusions under the program:
• Household products (e.g. soap and shampoos)• Anti-obesity drugs• Cosmetics• Alternative therapies (e.g. glucosamine and evening primrose oil)• Megavitamins• Drugs with investigational/ experimental status• Vaccinations for travel• Hair-growth stimulants• Fertility agents and impotence drugs• Select over-the-counter products
• Cough preparations containing codeine
Accessing your Pharmacy Benefits
How do I access my pharmacy benefits? And how does payment work?
An appeals procedure for Pharmacy is being finalized. Information about the appeals procedure will be posted on our website once it is available.
Do you have questions?
Contact us at:
Note: some of these items may not yet appear on the PharmaCare Formulary Search tool.
Processing Claims Information:
Algorithm for Coverage:
Clients not yet enrolled in Plan W should be encouraged to call FNHA.
NIHB Pharmacist Initiated Therapy:
ESC-NIHB Claims Submission Kit
1-855-550-5454 (Toll Free)
Download a print version of the FNHA Health Benefits Client Satisfaction Survey
Client Satisfaction Survey FAQs
There was an error subscribing you. Please try again later.
The email address you entered doesn't appear to be valid. Please try again.
You are now subscribed!