COAST SALISH TERRITORY – First Nations and Indigenous peoples and partners will celebrate culture, wellness and resilience June 21 at Indigenous Peoples Day of Wellness events sponsored by the First Nations Health Authority (FNHA).
The FNHA is sponsoring 130 events – for a total of $328,200 – that reflect the diversity of BC's First Nations. Support also comes from 220 partner agencies providing volunteers, equipment, transportation and in-kind contributions.
Tens of thousands of Indigenous people and their neighbours will attend different celebrations all over the province.
The events include:
• Canim Lake Band's intergenerational Amazing Race challenge• A 350-kilometre Tears to Hope relay run raising awareness for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls in northern BC• A paddle in a traditional Huu-ay-aht canoe followed by a Salmon Feast in Pachena Bay• Stz'uminus gathering to honour women's and LGBTQ2S wellness• Men's health event for inmates hosted by Surrey Pre-Trial service
• Canim Lake Band's intergenerational Amazing Race challenge
• A 350-kilometre Tears to Hope relay run raising awareness for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls in northern BC
• A paddle in a traditional Huu-ay-aht canoe followed by a Salmon Feast in Pachena Bay
• Stz'uminus gathering to honour women's and LGBTQ2S wellness
• Men's health event for inmates hosted by Surrey Pre-Trial service
View an interactive map of events throughout the province here.
"We are happy to continue supporting opportunities to gather and celebrate our cultures and our wellness," said Joe Gallagher, FNHA's CEO. "Our teachings tell us that focusing on wellness-based activities improves our health and the health of our communities."
Indigenous Peoples Day of Wellness events celebrate and showcase community health and wellness as defined by First Nations and Indigenous communities across BC. FNHA has invested 2.1 million dollars in Indigenous Peoples Day of Wellness and Winter Wellness events since 2014.
Explore the events map here:
There was an error subscribing you. Please try again later.
The email address you entered doesn't appear to be valid. Please try again.
You are now subscribed!