As announced in the January 5, 2021 PharmaCare Newsletter, an additional diabetes treatment option has been added to Plan W coverage.
Semaglutide is a type 2 diabetes treatment option used when other medications cannot effectively manage blood sugar. Limited coverage drugs, including semaglutide, require a Special Authority for coverage.
As well, the benefit critiera for the following diabetes medications have been updated:
• linagliptin (Trajenta™) and linagliptin-metformin (Jentadueto™)• saxagliptin (Onglyza®) and saxagliptin-metformin (Komboglyze™)• empagliflozin (Jardiance®) and empagliflozin-metformin (Synjardy®)• pioglitazone (Actos® and generics)
• linagliptin (Trajenta™) and linagliptin-metformin (Jentadueto™)
• saxagliptin (Onglyza®) and saxagliptin-metformin (Komboglyze™)
• empagliflozin (Jardiance®) and empagliflozin-metformin (Synjardy®)
• pioglitazone (Actos® and generics)
Clients are encouraged to discuss what diabetes medications are available to them with their healthcare providers. Your doctor or nurse practitioner (NP) can submit a Special Authority request directly to PharmaCare, if required.
To ensure your diabetes treatment is working as effectively as possible, you can talk to your pharmacist about an annual medication review. In a medication review, your pharmacist will make sure that you are only taking medications that you need, and that the medications work well together.
A medication review is an opportunity for you to ask questions about your current medications and how they help manage your diabetes (or any other chronic conditions you may have). Some people find it helpful to include a family member, a trusted friend, or community health nurse in discussions with the pharmacist.
Contact your local community pharmacist if you would like an in-person medication review. If you are unable to access a pharmacist in-person, Health Benefits can connect you with a virtual clinical pharmacist through FNHA's partnership with the University of British Columbia (UBC) Pharmacist Clinic.
If you have any questions, or would like to set up a virtual medication review, please call Health Benefits at 1-855-550-5454.