Get Support


​​​It can be helpful to talk with someone who's been there about what's going on for you. They can offer a different perspective, try to answer questions and help you find resources, online or in your community. 

What is Peer Support? 

Peer support is a chance to connect with another young person who's had their own experiences navigating mental health or substance use challenges. Peer support workers are there to listen to you about any struggle or challenge you may be experiencing. They're not doctors or counsellors, their expertise comes from life experience, which can help if you're feeling nervous or unsure about getting in touch with a service provider. 

Peer support workers can't diagnose or treat mental health challenges, and shouldn't be used as a replacement for health professionals (such as doctors, counsellors, psychologists or social workers). They can offer non-judgemental support, understanding, and help with navigating the system and finding services and resources. 

Find Peer Support 


Some middle schools, secondary schools, universities and colleges have peer support workers and groups who are there to help you with any problem or challenge you might be having. You may want to ask a teacher, school counsellor, professor or someone else at your school about what's available. 

First Nations Friendship Centres and Community Health Centres

Check at your local Friendship Centre or Health Centre to see if they offer peer support. 

BC Children's Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre – Youth & Young Adult Peer Support

If you can't find peer support in your community, you can connect with a Youth Peer Support worker at the Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre who provide support to young people and families across BC.

​​​​​​​Not everyone is equipped to handle challenges with substance use on their own. When you need help for yourself or need support in understanding or communicating with th​e youth in your life, look for local resources and organizations that can assist you.​ 

You could contact:

  • Your family doctor or another trusted health worker
  • FNHA's KUU-US Crisis Response Services at 1-800-KUU-US17 (588-8717). KUU-US is a culturally safe crisis line for Indigenous people in BC  
  • A mental health and wellness counsellor. Call First Nations Health Benefits at 1-800-317-7878 or send an email to to find a counsellor to support you who has completed cultural safety training. L​earn more at
  • First Nations Treatment Centre in BC 
  • Your Regional Health Authority's Harm Reduction Coordinator
  • The Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service at  1-800-663-1441


Mental Health and Wellness Team​​​