On May 10, Dr. Evan Adams, FNHA’s Chief Medical Officer, was joined by five doctors and more than 70 FNHA staff for a walk from Park Royal to the Guardian Totem at Ambleside Park. The sun was shining for the event that brought participants back onto the land to nurture their spirits.
In his opening words, Dr. Adams emphasized the great benefits of walking and the importance of having a good relationship with your doctor. “It’s more satisfying and reassuring when you have good communication with your doctor,” said Dr. Adams. “It is important to have a good relationship – respect and trust between you.”
Dr. Adams then acknowledged the other doctors that were present and encouraged all participants to connect with them during the walk. The doctors at the May 10 event included:
• Dr. Sean Wachtel, FNHA Medical Director, Health Services• Dr. Unjali Malhotra, FNHA Medical Director, Women’s Health• Dr. Michael Dumont, Lu’ma Medical• Dr. Richard Vedan, UBC School of Social Work• Dr. Scott Hodgson, Indigenous Family Medicine Residency Program, UBC
• Dr. Sean Wachtel, FNHA Medical Director, Health Services
• Dr. Unjali Malhotra, FNHA Medical Director, Women’s Health
• Dr. Michael Dumont, Lu’ma Medical
• Dr. Richard Vedan, UBC School of Social Work
• Dr. Scott Hodgson, Indigenous Family Medicine Residency Program, UBC
Following the welcome and introductions, a stretching and warm-up session took place. Leena Hasan of FNHA’s Research, Knowledge and Exchange (RKE) team led the stretch. Leena was identified as a wellness champion within FNHA for leading her team through daily afternoon stretch sessions, and being an avid runner and yoga enthusiast.“I encourage everyone to take 10-15 minutes every day to turn on their favourite tunes, get up from their seats and stretch together,” suggested Leena. “Our team finds it a fun and energizing way to support the wellness of our bodies, minds and spirits.”After the stretch session, the 3.4km walk on the Coast Salish Territory began!All walkers had time to connect with the doctors and with each other. This was the fifth year that FNHA has participated in the walk, and it has become tradition for a photo to be taken once the walkers reach the Guardian Totem. Thank you to all the Walkers and Doctors for being part of this event. Click here to learn more about Walk with your Doc.Click here to learn more about FNHAs Wellness Streams on Keeping Active and Nurturing your Spirit.
(Walking back to Park Royal)